Many people flock to Cambria in the summer months for its seaside activities and picture-perfect weather. But don’t discount a visit during the cooler fall months! Autumn is a wonderful time to take advantage of all there is to, exploring natural wonders, wine tasting and shopping. Our guide to the top 10 things to do in Cambria is sure to keep you entertained, whether you come to the coast for a weekend or a couple of weeks.
- Explore the Beach. Moonstone Beach, located directly across from the Cambria Inns Collection, provides the perfect setting for an afternoon of beachcombing. Take a leisurely stroll along the boardwalk or head straight to the sand to explore unique rock formations. You can also check out the tide pools as you take in the unobstructed views.
- Go Wine Tasting. Cambria is conveniently located just 30 miles from Paso Robles wine country. But you don’t have to travel far from the coast to experience great wine. Cambria is home to a handful of tasting rooms and wineries along the Pacific Coast Wine Trail, with several right in town, including Black Hand Cellars, Moonstone Cellars and Twin Coyotes, and nearby Stolo Vineyards & Winery, Hearst Ranch Winery and Harmony Cellars. Many are family-owned and operated, too, so you can expect a welcoming, intimate experience while you sip.
- Take a Hike. Fall is an ideal time to enjoy the great outdoors and Cambria offers plenty of hiking trails. Be sure to head to Fiscalini Ranch Preserve, where trails suitable for all levels wind throughout the preserve’s 400 acres.
- Marvel at Hearst Castle. Since it’s located just 6 miles from Cambria, the Cambria Inns Collection offers some of the closest hotels near Hearst Castle, making it easy to explore this worthy destination any time of year. It’s especially convenient during the offseason when there tends to be less crowds at this iconic landmark. This sprawling estate, built by newspaper tycoon, William Randolph Hearst, in the early 1990s, is a site to see. Be amazed by the impressive architecture to the grandeur of the pools.
- Go Shopping. Downtown Cambria is home many unique shops and stores—with no chain stores to be found!—so you can expect plenty of original art and handmade crafts made by local artists. If you enjoy antiques and vintage collectibles, there are several shops with a multitude of different exhibitors, as well.
- Admire the Coastal Wildlife. Highway 1 offers some of the best wildlife viewing opportunities around, providing plenty of chances to see dolphins, whales and other animals at various viewing spots. There’s always wildlife to see that make their home on the Central Coast.
- Enjoy the Theatre. There’s no doubt that Cambria is a creative community and its local performances are sure to entertain. The Cambria Center for the Arts hosts a wide variety of performances, including major productions, high energy musicals and readings. There’s always something fun happening regardless of the time of year.
- View Hundreds of Scarecrows. Now in its 10th year, the Cambria Scarecrow Festival has grown into one of the most unique festivals in California, drawing people near and far to enjoy the hundreds of handcrafted scarecrows. This community-wide event displays scarecrows painting, pedaling, fishing and flying. It honors folk tradition while encouraging artistic creativity within the community.
- Visit a Historical Landmark. Considered one of the finest examples of Folk Art, Nitt Witt Ridge is an artistic and funky house built by reclusive artist Arthur Harold Beal, who spent 50 years creating his “castle” on the hill using mixed materials like wood, abalone shells, beer cans, concrete and car parts. Also on the list of California’s Historical Landmarks is the Piedras Blancas Light Station, an 1875 lighthouse built on a rugged, windswept point, about 15 minutes north of Cambria.
- Slow Down. There are plenty of ways to stay busy in Cambria, but part of the appeal is its peacefulness. Relax, smell the fresh ocean air, read a book or enjoy the ocean views as you listen to the waves. Thanks to its coastal location Cambria is an ideal place to unplug and unwind.
What’s on your list of the top 10 things to do in Cambria for fall? Whenever you visit, you have your choice of Cambria hotels when you stay at the Cambria Inns Collection, including Blue Dolphin Inn, Sand Pebbles Inn, Moonstone Cottages and Castle Inn.